Lincolnshire Bird Race With a Difference!
A winter bird race jointly sponsored by the BTO and Lincs Bird Club will take place between midnight on Thursday 6th Jan and midnight on Sunday 9th Jan 2011.
We hope that everyone will be able to take part and have some fun while adding to our knowledge of birds wintering across Lincolnshire. The diagram above shows the number of species recorded in each square so far. The colours show progress against the numbers recorded in the 1980s atlas. The plan is to turn the map green.
What you have to do:
- Maximum of 2 people per team
- Select a 10 km square from the list below
- Register the square with the Regional Organiser
- Record the birds seen in the square in a 24 hour period between midnight on Thursday 6th Jan and midnight on Sunday 9th Jan 2011. Spend as much or as little time as you wish
- Enter the list as a Roving Record in the BTO Bird Atlas by Midnight on Sunday 16th Jan 2011
- If you'd like to take part without being part of the competition just advise your Regional Organiser you'd prefer to remain anonymous.
- The Team who adds the most new birds to the Atlas in a 10 km square
- Tie Break - in the event of a tie, the team that has the rarest bird added to its square will win, John Clarkson will be the judge - and his decision is final!
- The winner will be announced through our blog on 22 Jan
- A pair of Opticron binoculars donated by the BTO
- Awarded at the BTO Conference on the 16th April 2011 at Riseholme
- Visit www.bto.org/birdatlas
- Only one team will be registered for each square and it's first come first served; if your chosen square has been taken you will be allocated an adjacent square, if you have a preference please indicate your 2nd choice when registering.
Available Squares and contact details
Lincs North and West Chris Gunn firstname.lastname@example.org
SE81, 91, 70, 80, 90 TA01, 11, 21, 00, 10 20 30 40, SK89, 99, TF 09, 19 29, 39, 49
SK84, 87, 88, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 TF04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Lincs East and South Phil Espin email@example.com
TF 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58
TF01, 02, 03 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33, 42, 43
BRO Regional Representative East Lincs